2018 Australian Release – BlackSys CH-200 Dual Channel Dash Cam
Dash Cams Australia are excited to be exclusively introducing the BlackSys CH-200 into the Australian Dash Cam market in 2018 and it is already proving to be a customer favorite.
APRIL 2018 UPDATE – we now also stock the BlackSys CH-200 1-channel model for those wanting just a front recording model. Exact same features and design as the dual version, only without the rear camera (rear camera can be post purchased as an optional accessory).
During 2017 numerous new 2-channel Dash Cams were introduced into the Australian Dash Cam market. This is great to see albeit most 2-channel Dash Cams are now priced around $500-$600+. Throughout last year we received a large influx of customer enquiries about more affordable 2-channel alternatives, so we started looking into it. It became evident to us that some customers don’t want all the “bells and whistles” of $500+ dual Dash Cams. Especially features that most Dash Cam users would hardly use like remote back to base live viewing, geo fencing or speed camera alerts.
There is a need in the Australian market for a more accessibly priced, good quality 2-channel Dash Cam that reliably performs while driving and when parked, without paying top dollar. To be honest, our initial search for a quality, sub $400 2-channel Dash Cam was not looking good.
We decided to look at the BlackSys CH-200 Dash Cam. We have been aware of the BlackSys product for some time and testing it had been on our to do list. The ball finally started rolling once we discussed this model with the leading Dash Cam suppliers in North America – BlackboxMyCar. They provided us with the positive feedback we needed as it had already been tried and tested in the American market and they have been very impressed with the BlackSys. The BlackSys CH-200 is currently one of BlackboxMyCar’s top 2 recommended 2-channel Dash Cams for 2018. So after considering all this positive feedback we started working directly with BlackSys and put a CH-200 through its paces.
Verdict – at its affordable $399.00 price point, the BlackSys CH-200 Dash Cam is an overall excellent unit with exceptional value for money. It has features and performance that most $500-$600+ Dash Cams lack. With the combination of the powerful Ambarella A12 chipset, dual 1080P FULL HD, high quality Sony EXMOR sensors and supercapacitors – the BlackSys CH-200 delivers the most outstanding performance, sophisticated features and value for money.
It is a dual 1080P FULL HD Dash Cam without a screen, so is operated via Wi-Fi to a smartphone. It has high quality Sony EXMOR CMOS sensors both front and rear for great video quality and GPS included to record vehicle speed and location. The BlackSys CH-200 is also a proper Parking Mode Dash Cam with some of the most advanced parking mode features around to give you confidence while parked. It supports up to a large 128GB Micro SD card and comes with an included BlackSys 32GB card. An optional dedicated BlackSys hardwire cable (for parking mode) is available at an affordable price.
We installed our BlackSys CH-200 test unit into a work vehicle, which is on the road for around 6 hours a day and parked outside in the hot sun. We also tested the BlackSys CH-200 in our benchtop lab oven to push the heat reliability to the max.
To date it continues to work flawlessly.
WHAT WE LIKE….
1. The unique design and shape of the front Dash Cam.
It is flatter and slimmer than most Dash Cams. When looking at the Dash Cam from outside the vehicle, the thin and flat design fades into the car interior. The matt black body has a premium look and feel. The rear camera is small and not distracting on the rear windscreen.
2. Excellent and informative voice notifications and comprehensible LED light indicators. In addition, the Emergency Record button is tactile and well placed. When pressed it will separate and mark an “Event file” so you can easily find the important footage later on.
3. The BlackSys CH-200 has excellent configurable settings allowing the user to get optimum use out of the Dash Cam for their particular needs.
– you can partition the Micro SD card by choosing the % of space dedicated for driving files, parking mode files and impact/event files. So if you park up for a couple of days, you can reduce the driving space to 10% and the parking mode space to 80%. This means there is less chance your parking files will be overwritten.
– you can customize the G-sensor impact sensitivity separately in both driving mode and parking mode. So if you want low sensitivity while driving (to reduce false activation from speed humps) but the highest impact sensitivity during parking mode, you can set the impact sensitivities independently of each other.
– you can customize the motion detection scanning area of both the front and rear cameras while in parking mode. You can have a long and wide motion scanning area, or a short and narrow. It is up to you.
4. The most advanced Dash Cam Parking Mode features around to give you confidence while you are away from your vehicle. Why?
a. Pre-buffered parking mode recording with motion & impact detection. The BlackSys CH-200 Dash Cam records 30 second parking mode files when triggered by motion or impact. This is split into 10 seconds before the trigger and 20 seconds after the trigger. This means if someone quickly drives/walks past your car and damages it, you will capture the 10 second lead-up to the incident. You won’t miss it. Most pre-buffered Dash Cams record a shorter 5 second buffer before a trigger and some models only record after a trigger. This means that by the time the culprit has moved on, the Dash Cam just starts recording. You can lose the very important lead up circumstances before an incident.
b. Time-Lapse Parking Mode option. The BlackSys CH-200 also supports the option to record continuously while parked. In time-lapse parking mode, it records at 1 frame per second continuously which allows you to review around 7 minutes of footage in just 30 seconds. Time lapse parking mode can be used to save alot of SD card storage space when parked in very busy areas or parked for days on end.
c. Micro SD card partitioning to allow you to allocate to a max 80% of the card space for parking mode. Great if you are parked up for days to reduce overwriting the important files.
d. You can customize the motion detection scanning areas around your car.
e. Four voltage cut off options to protect your car battery from draining (when hardwired with the BlackSys hardwire cable)
f. Tailor the activation time of parking mode after you turn off your ignition. You can start parking mode recording after 10 seconds if you want, or after 10 minutes with other options in between.
5. The BlackSys CH-200 Dash Cam has the best file management/saving system we have seen.
It simply saves and records 3 types of files. Each file is saved into its own separate folder on the SD card. This makes for easy searching and identification of files. They are marked as:
Always Files – these are purely driving only files. 3 minutes long.
Event Files – these are purely G-sensor (impact) and/or manual Hazard/Emergency button files. 30 second files, saving 10 seconds before trigger and 20 seconds after trigger.
Motion Files – these are purely parking mode motion files. 30 second files, saving 10 seconds before trigger and 20 seconds after trigger.
In addition to the separate folders for each type of file, the actual video clip is stamped with the type of file – Always, Event or Motion.
6. Contains the intelligent Ambarella A12 chipset which is one of the most powerful processors available for a Dash Cam. This processor is the brains of the Dash Cam and allows all these useful features and customisability to work seamlessly together.
7. The BlackSys CH-200 contains supercapacitors and quality internal components. The operational temperature is rated to a high 70°C. This ensures heat reliability and ensures parking mode recording in a hot car remains active. Storage temperature is even higher at 80°C. So even if you are not recording in parking mode, this ensures the Dash Cam will start up when you jump into a hot car.
8. The dedicated BlackSys video player is MAC and Windows compatible. This free player allows you to review footage alongside a Google map overlay so you can see where the car is at the time of the footage. You can also change camera settings in the video player software in addition to changing them via the BlackSys App, very convenient.
If you are looking for an affordable 2-channel Dash Cam that has excellent all round performance, the BlackSys CH-200 is the one. It delivers the best balance of performance, useful features and reliability all at an affordable price point. Simple to use, customizable and reliable performance while driving and while parked.
Check out these videos below for additional information (increase video clip resolution to 1080P via the cog wheel for best viewing):
If you have any further enquiries or would like more assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on (03) 9338 8772 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are more than happy to answer any questions about the BlackSys CH-200 Dash Cam.